Teochew Oyster Porridge
2 cups cooked Royal Umbrella Thai Hom Mali New Crop Rice
2 1⁄2 cups of hot water
300g raw baby oyster meat
1 tbsp corn starch
1 tbsp coarse salt
1 tbsp garlic oil
1⁄2 tsp sesame oil
2 tbsp pickled Chinese cabbage (Dong Cai)
1 tbsp Golden Circle Vegetable Oil
2 slices of ginger
3 slices of deep-fried dried fish sole
1 dried cuttlefish strip (soaked)
2 litres hot water
11⁄2 tbsp chicken seasoning powder
3⁄4 tbsp rock sugar (to taste)
3⁄4 tsp white pepper (to taste)
1 tbsp Chinese wine
2 stalks spring onion (chopped)
2 tbsp Chinese celery (chopped)
2 tbsp fried garlic crisps
- Clean the baby oysters and soak in water with 1 tablespoon of corn starch and 1 tablespoon of coarse salt. Rinse the oyster under the running water. Drain dry and add in 1 tablespoon of garlic oil and sesame oil. Set aside the marinated oysters in the refrigerator.
- Over low heat, pan fry the ginger with Golden Circle Vegetable Oil for a minute. Add in the cuttlefish, deep fried sole fish and stir fry till aromatic.
- Add in the hot water and simmer for about 30 minutes (do not boil the broth). Then, remove the fried sole fish, ginger and cuttlefish. Put in rock sugar and chicken seasoning powder to the broth.
- Bring the broth to boil and add in the pickled Chinese cabbage (Dong Cai) and the cooked Royal Umbrella Thai Hom Mali New Crop Rice. Just as the broth is about to boil, add in the marinated oysters. Stir gently and pour in the Chinese wine. Turn off the fire, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish the porridge with chopped spring onions, celery and fried garlic crisps.