Teochew Traditional Yam Ring
For Yam Ring:
Golden Circle Vegetable Oil (for deep frying)
300g of cooked yam (mashed)
50g of wheat starch
70ml of hot boiling water
1⁄2 tsp salt
11⁄2 tbsp vegetable shortening
11⁄4 tsp sugar
1⁄2 tsp five spice powder
One handful dried rice vermicelli
- Cut the yam into pieces. Steam for 20 minutes or until soft. Remove from steamer and mash the cooked yam. Set aside.
- Mix the wheat starch with boiling hot water and mould into a soft dough. Rest for 10 minutes.
- Mix the hot mashed yam, wheat starch dough, salt, vegetable shortening, sugar and five spice powder together.
- Roll out and flatten the ready yam dough into a long strip. Shape the yam dough into the size of a yam ring (thickness and length of the strip is based on own preference).
- Place the formed yam ring onto a handmade aluminum foil ring base and place the yam ring into the refrigerator for least an hour before deep frying.
- Heat up the Golden Circle Vegetable Oil on a wok till it is fairly hot. Carefully place the yam ring into the hot oil and deep fry until it turns golden brown and crispy (ensure the whole yam is submerged into the oil). Drain the oil and set the yam ring aside to cool before removing it from base.
- Fry the rice vermicelli until crispy. Drain and set aside for garnishing.
For The Yam Ring Filling:
Golden Circle Vegetable Oil
300g deboned chicken tigh meat (diced)
100g prawn (diced)
2 pcs dried mushrooms (soaked and diced)
40g button mushroom (diced)
40g yellow capsicum (diced)
40g red capsicum (diced)
40g green capsicum (diced)
40g carrot (diced)
1⁄2 french onion (diced)
1 tsp chopped garlic
A dash of chicken powder
1 tbsp egg white
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp corn flour
For Sauce (mix all):
1 tbsp soya sauce
1 tbsp oyster sauce
A dash of sesame oil
A dash of worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Shaoxing hua tiao wine
1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- Marinate the diced chicken with a dash of chicken powder, egg white, 1 teaspoon Golden Circle Vegetable Oil, pepper and corn flour.
- Pour a tablespoon of Golden Circle Vegetable Oil on a heated wok. Add in the prawns and stir fry until it turns pink. Remove and set aside.
- Pour a tablespoon of Golden Circle Vegetable Oil on a heated wok. Add in the chopped garlic and onion and stir fry till aromatic.
- Put in the marinated chicken and stir fry briefly for 3 minutes. Place in the mushrooms, yellow, red and green diced capsicums and carrot into the wok and toss well.
- Add in the prawns and the sauce. Stir to well mix.
- Dish the fillings onto the yam ring. Garnish with roasted cashew nuts, coriander and fried rice vermicelli.
For Table Rice:
1 cup of Royal Umbrella Thai Hom Mali Rice
1.3 cups of water
Rinse the Royal Umbrella Thai Hom Mali Rice only once.
Place the rinsed rice into a rice cooker and add 1.3 cups of water. Set to “cook” mode
After the rice is cooked, let rice stand for 5 minutes and fluff the rice before placing onto the rice bowl.